For the Chocolate Cake
14 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the pans with butter and dust.
- Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl.
- Cream the mixture until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold the flour mixture into the cake batter until well blended, trying to keep volume.
- Gently fold in the thick yogurt. This will help to make the cake moist.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 cake pans.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20–25 minutes until risen and springy to the touch.
For the Chocolate buttercream
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2⁄3 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted,
1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
a little milk, if necessary
- Put butter, sugar, and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Blend the mixture until light and fluffy.
- If the cream is stiff, add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches a spreading consistency
- Spread the flat base of one cake with the buttercream, then top with the other cake