Egg yolks 3
Granulated sugar 1/4th cup + 1 tbsp. for each serving
Heavy cream 1 ½ cups
Lemon extract 1 tsp.
Lemon zest ½ tsp.
Salt 1/8th tsp.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, slowly heat the cream to a simmer but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks, and lemon extract.
- Slowly add the cream to the egg mixture on low speed making sure you don’t curdle the eggs. Add salt & lemon zest and whisk to combine.
- Divide batter into 4 deep ramekins and place them into a deep baking dish.
- Pour boiling water into the pan, just enough to come up half way around the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes custard should be set when gently shaken.
- Remove custards from water bath and let them cool at room temperature, then set them in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours. (for best results, make these the night before you want to eat them)
- When ready to serve, top each one with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. With a small kitchen blow torch, heat the top of each custard until the sugar caramelizes evenly, but does not burn.