1 Garbanzo beans can or Channa
3 tbsp. oil (I used peanut oil)
1 tsps. Cumin seeds
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
5 pepper corns
10 dried red chilies (you can increase or decreased accordingly)
1 big onion chopped
1 tsps. Ginger paste
1 tsps. Garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes
2 green chilies
salt to taste
coriander leaves for garnish
- First dry roast the spices cumin, coriander seeds, pepper corns, cloves and chilies. You can do it together or individually, once they are done blend them together and keep it aside.
- I have used canned garbanzo beans, I drained the liquid and rinsed it thoroughly; you can use the dry beans, soak it overnight and cook it with some salt and water until tender.
- Heat the oil In a wok or khadai, add in the onions and when they start getting golden brown in color add in the ginger and garlic paste sauté and let the color change into golden brown, it takes about 5 to 6 minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Now add the tomatoes sauté and let it cook till they release all the oil and is soft.
- Now add in the dry spices that we had grinded to the mixture and mix them well together and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add in the cooked or canned garbanzo beans, green chilies and mix them well, add a cup of water if very dry and let it cook for about 10 minutes on low flame.
- Now garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot with chapatti or paratha.