Bitter-melon!!! The name itself says run run, my name says what I’ll do to you!!!! Even if it would taste great after cooking, the word “Bitter” would still haunt us. Every time my mom would buy them and convince us on how good it is for our health, I would make up a friend’s birthday or some other excuse to avoid having lunch at home!!! And now that I am married and I am responsible for the wellbeing of my family, I would still not buy it!!! But recently my husband wanted to taste something new for a change and kept asking me to buy it and to my surprise we actually did!!! I tried my hardest to avoid making it and tried to convince him to drop the idea of the whole new taste thing, but he was pretty strong and offered to help me to slice them up delicately. So I had to give up my fight and mask the flavor that is when I came up with the bitter-melon chips and guess what!!! It worked (to a very great extent masked the flavor!!!) hope this recipe helps you get over the bitter and find the taste like it did to me. Enjoy
Bitter-melon 2 medium size
Chili powder 2 teaspoon
Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
Chili sauce 1 teaspoon
Cornstarch 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Cut the bitter-melon into thin circles.
- In a bowl add 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to it and soak the bitter-melon in it for minimum 3 hours.
- Once the melon are soaked enough, drain the water from the melon and start heating oil for frying.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl (Bitter-melon, Chili powder, Ginger paste, Garlic paste, Coriander powder 1 teaspoon, Chili sauce, Cornstarch, Turmeric powder, Salt to taste)
- Once the oil is hot, start frying them till they cook on both side evenly
- Remove them on a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil.